This subject is about much more than food. It combines aspects of science, nutrition, cooking, life skills and finance. Students learn about the inter-relationships between diet, health, family, home and choice and the management of resources.
Food and Health Technology gives students a valuable insight into:
- what’s really in the food we eat everyday;
- how to plan and cook nutritious and economical meals;
- how to choose the best food for themselves and their family;
- the importance of good nutrition and health; and
- the role of the consumer in modern eating patterns.
- how and why new food products are developed
- how to interpret food labels and how to use this information to make informed choices
The Food and Health Technology Department aims to equip young people with skills and knowledge, which in turn, encourages good health and a positive attitude to food throughout life.
The course content provides scope for developing skills, knowledge, understanding and attributes through creative, practical and work-related activities. Further, it develops skills that are recognised as being important for success in the world of work and are essential to being a responsible citizen and a confident individual. The skills and knowledge covered also offer an excellent platform for a range of careers and further study.
During their time in the department pupils will study a selection of the following topics in Health & Food lessons:
- Safe and Hygienic Food Preparation
- Food & Nutrition
- Healthy Eating
- The impact and role of technology on food choice and preparation
- Consumer Education