International Boarders

Our boarding house, Burnbrae, is home to up to 60 boys and girls from both the UK and around the world. We accept children from the age of 9 into boarding and we value the richness and diversity our international boarders bring to our school community.

Although the majority of pupils come from Scotland and the rest of the UK, there is a strong international element with pupils from Hong Kong, China, Dubai, Brazil, USA, Russia, Ukraine, Switzerland, Spain, Germany and France resident in the last few years.

As well as full-time boarders, we also welcome a number of boarders each year who come to experience language or immersion programmes for one term or one year. We are very happy to work with families to provide an option which best suits their circumstances.

Our Registrar and Pastoral Team work closely together to ensure that the admissions experience for overseas pupils is a positive one. Initial meetings and enquiries can be carried out via Zoom as well as by email and phone. Once a pupil has accepted an offer, support is provided throughout the process from visa application (if required) to flight arrivals, home stays for short holiday weekends and ongoing liaison with home.

Living and learning in a completely different country (often with major cultural differences to cope with as well) can be a daunting experience but we find that our international pupils settle quickly into their new life. They are helped by the friendliness of the community as a whole and their boarding house family at Burnbrae. For those who need to improve their English, the support of our excellent English as an Additional Language Department (EAL) whose input goes well beyond the mere teaching of English is invaluable.

If you are interested in boarding at Lomond School, please contact our Registrar, via the form at the bottom of the page or direct on Both our Admissions Team and our wider Pastoral Team are very experienced in supporting international families and will be happy to provide information tailored to your requirements. 

EAL Assessment and Support

Before a pupil joins us, it is important to establish their level of English so that we can provide support to access the curriculum if needed. 

New international pupils will sit an online assessment. Our Registrar will arrange this assessment. The results from this assessment, alongside an initial interview and school reports allow us to identify if there are gaps in learning and ensure that our EAL department can help.

Those who require additional support will typically receive two to three lessons a week from a teacher with specific training in teaching English as an additional language. These lessons may either be 1:1 or in small groups.

Of course, an important feature of studying in a UK boarding school is immersing yourself in the English language and our international pupils are encouraged and supported, both in class and in the boarding house, to practice their language skills. We find that our pupils develop both in their confidence and communication skills even after only a few weeks with us.

Securing a visa

Any pupil who does not hold a UK passport or settled or pre-settled status in the UK and wishes to join us for a stay of six months or more must apply for a visa in order to study at Lomond School.

Lomond School is a registered Student Sponsor (via the Home Office’s UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI) unit). Lomond School retains full discretion on whether to sponsor a pupil. As a general rule, Lomond School will only sponsor boarding pupils.

For more information, please visit; or contact our Registrar.


All parents who live overseas are required to name a UK based guardian for their child. The guardian’s role is to support the child, deputise for the parents when they are unavailable and be contacted in an emergency. A guardian can be a relative or friend whom parents know and trustor a guardian appointed and monitored by a reputable guardianship agency.

A list of accredited guardians is published on the AEGIS [Association for the Education and Guardianship of International Students] website:

International Connections

We understand the needs of overseas parents and have vast experience caring for pupils from around the globe. Our Registrar will be happy to put you in touch with current parents, or a member of our Former Pupil network, who may reside near you so you have a local point of contact if you wish.

Make an Enquiry

To find out more about boarding at Lomond School or to arrange a visit or virtual meeting, please contact our Registrar who will be happy to help.